Built by the Heins and LaFarge architects of the original IRT subway line, in 1904, the graceful rhythmic patterns of the medieval-inspired Guastavino vaulting and arches along with its concave leaded glass skylights and elaborate electric chandeliers, make this station the beaux arts jewel of the subway system. Closed to the public on Decemeber 31, 1945, it is now accessible only through tours conducted by the New York Transit Museum.
100 Pieces; measures 8 1/4 x 11 3/4 inches
Warning: Small parts pose a choking hazard to children under 3 years
|What's the Story||Conceived over a century ago as a "great public work," the New York City subway system melded innovative engineering with stylish architecture and interior design, opening with fanfare on October 27, 1904 in the grand City Hall Station.|