Grand Central Centennial Magnet Set (2 pack)
Availability: In stock
This set of two magnets features a color photograph of the Main Concourse and a vintage black and white image.
Measures 2 x 3 inches. Made in the U.S.A.
|What's the Story||A four-faced golden clock stands atop an octagonal information booth at the center of Grand Central's massive Main Concourse. The Self Winding Clock Company of Brooklyn built the original brass clock in 1913 and built its mechanism in the 1950s. They also produced many of the other clocks located in the Terminal. Like many New York subway and railway clocks, its time was set by an electric signal from the Naval Observatory. Each side of the clock face is made of opaline glass and is lighted from within. At the clock's top rests a large acorn, a symbol of the Vanderbilt's replicated throughout the Beaux-Arts train station. The hands of the clock are positioned at 7:13, or 19:13 in trainmaster's time, signifying the year in which the Terminal opened at 12:01 am on February 2, 1913. In New York’s “town square,” residents and visitors alike often rendezvous near the clock at the Information Booth.|